QUESTION: Australian lead mining royalties - media release and factsheet,
email 2. 07 Oct 2005, New South Wales Australia
I am researching royalties collected in Australia from lead mining. I have searched the Annual Reports for all the Australian lead mining companies:
1. BHP Billiton www.bhpbilliton.com
2. Perilya www.perilya.com.au
3. Xstrata www.xstrata.com
4. Zinifex www.zinifex.com
5. Consolidated Broken Hill (CBH) www.cbhresources.com.au
6. Magellan Metals - owned by Ivernia West Inc www.ivernia.com
7. Kagara Zinc Ltd www.kagara.com.au/default.asp
And I found the following royalties paid ($m) figures for 2004:
I can't find the figures for the others as they seem to be mixed in with their other mining royalties.
Lead mining royalties are collected by each state where there are lead mines ie NSW (including the world's largest lead mine at Broken Hill), Tasmania, Western Australia, Northern Territory and Queensland. My questions to you are:
1. can you find me the state and territories lead mining royalties income data for any year but preferably 2004? If not available by state, can you at least tell me the total collected in Australia from companies that carry out lead mining in Australia?
2. can you tell me the name of the legislation in each state and territory under which these lead mining royalties are collected?
3. can you find out what the money is spent on? e.g. does it just go into general revenue or is some of it hypothecated to mining-related government expenditure for example rail or port infrastructure? I look forward to receiving your answers soon as my research must be completed in the next few days!!
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 12:28 AM
Subject: Re: Australian lead mining royalties - media release and fact sheet
Thats great. Very helpful.
ANSWER: 24 Oct 2005
we had not forgotten your questions on lead mining royalties but three of us had a lot of trouble extracting the information out of the appropriate departments. We have just today put out a media release (see www.lead.org.au/mr/20051024.html) mentioning the fact sheet we wrote - "Lead mining royalties by state and territory" in answer to your query (see www.lead.org.au/fs/fst30.html).
Thanks for your questions - it has really brought Queensland's lead mining royalty income into the limelight as a potential source of funding for the Global Lead Advice and Support Service.
Shahilla Balachandran, Volunteer Information Officer and
Eric Steinhaeuser, Volunteer Public Relations Officer
system lead poisoning |
LEAD Project | egroups | Library
- Fact Sheets | Home
Page | Media Releases
Newsletters | Q & A | Referral lists | Reports | Site Map | Slide Shows - Films | Subscription | Useful Links | Search this Site
Updated 14 June 2012
Copyright © The LEAD Group Inc. 1991- 2012
PO Box 161 Summer Hill NSW 2130 Australia
Phone: +61 2 9716 0014