Run by

The LEAD Group Inc
The Lead Education and Abatement Design Group
Working to eliminate lead poisoning globally and to protect the
environment from lead in all its uses: past, current and new uses
ABN 25 819 463 114
Australians! Take action
today. Is lead harming
you & your kids? Buy low
cost, NATA accredited
laboratory lead test kits
here. Sample your dust,
soil, water, paint, toys,
jewellery, ceramics
what's new 

Water Lead test Kits

Proceeds from our DIY Home Lead Assessment kit sales go towards the
Keeping Australian Lead Out of Leaded Petrol Initiative.

Search this site
 
Search tips 
What's New

About Us
bell system lead poisoning
Contact Us
Council Lead Project
egroups
Library-Fact Sheets
Home Page
Media Releases
Newsletters
Q&A
Referral Lists
Reports
Site Map
Slide Shows-Films
Subscribe-Donate
Useful Links

Visitor Number

  QUESTION: My son swallowed a lead fishing sinker & everything I have read contradicts my doctors advice, 28 Jul 2006, Mississippi USA

My son swallowed a lead fishing sinker on 7-26-06. The doctor has told me it will pass and that there is no chance of my son absorbing enough lead to do any harm. Everything I have read contradicts my doctors advice. Can you help me with this situation? What is the best thing for me to do at this point?

EMAIL TWO

I wanted to thank you for responding to my email concerning my son. I have been so frustrated dealing with his pediatricians office. They just see no reason to worry about this situation, but I did leave there yesterday with a new x-ray and lab work done. When I got home, I faxed all of the info I had on children swallowing lead foreign bodies. I sure hope they take a look at it and come up with a better way of handling this type of situation in the future. Again, thanks for your help.
Sincerely

ANSWER: 28 Jul 2006

Dear Madam,
your son may not absorb enough lead to do much harm IF the fishing sinker passes straight through the gut but it being two days since he swallowed the sinker, this clearly has not happened and you are quite right to wonder about your doctor's advice. One of our clients had to take her son to the emergency department of three hospitals before she was able to locate a doctor who knew how to appropriately manage ingested fishing sinkers.

See the attached: "Case History 1 - "Lead Sinker Ingestion" for Olympic Coordinating Authority (OCA) fact sheet on Lead"

If you want to return to your doctor you could refer your doctor to the abstract entitled "Management of Lead Poisoning From Ingested Fishing Sinkers" Eugene Mowad, MD; Ibrahim Haddad, MD; David J. Gemmel, MA. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 1998 May;152(5):485-8  then hopefully your doctor will be registered with PubMed and so able to access the full article.

Similarly with "Fatal Lead Encephalopathy Following Foreign Body Ingestion: Case Report" Hugelmeyer CD, Moorhead JC, Horenblas L, Bayer MJ. J Emerg Med. 1988 Sep-Oct;6(5):397-400.

Although it seems that doctors were trained, at least up to 1988, to let the foreign object pass, the Poisons Info line in Australia recently advised the carer of a child who swallowed a sinker to get him to the hospital as soon as possible for blood lead testing and possibly an x-ray of the gut so I shall finish this email quickly now so that you might be able to do this today.

Please let me know how you go and how it all turns out.

Yours Sincerely
Elizabeth O'Brien

About Us | bell system lead poisoning | Contact Us | Council LEAD Project | egroups | Library - Fact Sheets | Home Page | Media Releases
Newsletters
| Q & A | Referral lists | Reports | Site Map | Slide Shows - Films | Subscription | Useful Links |  Search this Site
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer
Last Updated 15 September 2012
Copyright The LEAD Group Inc. 1991- 2012
PO Box 161 Summer Hill NSW 2130 Australia
Phone: +61 2 9716 0014