Run by

The LEAD Group Inc
The Lead Education and Abatement Design Group
Working to eliminate lead poisoning globally and to protect the
environment from lead in all its uses: past, current and new uses
ABN 25 819 463 114
Australians! Take action
today. Is lead harming
you & your kids? Buy low
cost, NATA accredited
laboratory lead test kits
here. Sample your dust,
soil, water, paint, toys,
jewellery, ceramics
what's new 

Water Lead test Kits

Proceeds from our DIY Home Lead Assessment kit sales go towards the
Keeping Australian Lead Out of Leaded Petrol Initiative.

Search this site
 
Search tips 
What's New

About Us
bell system lead poisoning
Contact Us
Council Lead Project
egroups
Library-Fact Sheets
Home Page
Media Releases
Newsletters
Q&A
Referral Lists
Reports
Site Map
Slide Shows-Films
Subscribe-Donate
Useful Links

Visitor Number

  QUESTION: Can you be lead poisoned from chewing the rubber of a collector's fountain pen? 26 Jun 2006, Pennsylvania USA

In a recent discussion with some fellow fountain pen hobbyists we realized that some of the early hard rubber fountain pens that we like and some use (and some lick :() contain lead (www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12411)
How dangerous would it be to use these pens given that some (few fortunately) tend to bite them or place them in their mouth for a short period of time?
Thank you in advance for your attention to this question.
ANSWER: 28 Jun 2006

Dear Antonios,
The use of lead in the rubber may not be at a high level. However, this does not guarantee that there is no possibility of effect. To produce an effect, it depends on the composition of the rubber. Therefore, in this case, it depends on the amount of lead in the rubber as well as the type of lead compound. Many people have a habit of putting the pen into their mouth but the level of lead in the rubber may not be sufficient to cause acute lead poisoning. It seems that there has been no record on lead poisoning from biting a fountain pen. Yet, there is no absolute proof about it. People who are diagnosed for lead poisoning are usually due to chronic exposure of paint and the cases are not usually linked to fountain pens. However, if lead is used as a surface coating on the rubber, there is always a possibility of accumulation in the body (although at low level). Exposure of materials with higher lead amount may add to the lead level in the body. In this case, poisoning may occur.
The best thing to do if you are concerned about lead exposure is to ask your doctor for a blood lead test, I hope this answers your question. Should you have more questions, feel free to contact us.
Regards,
Erik Wibowo
Volunteer Researcher
About Us | bell system lead poisoning | Contact Us | Council LEAD Project | egroups | Library - Fact Sheets | Home Page | Media Releases
Newsletters
| Q & A | Referral lists | Reports | Site Map | Slide Shows - Films | Subscription | Useful Links |  Search this Site
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer
Last Updated 14 September 2012
Copyright The LEAD Group Inc. 1991- 2012
PO Box 161 Summer Hill NSW 2130 Australia
Phone: +61 2 9716 0014